December 15, 2023
As a resident of the state of Florida, becoming a life insurance agent involves seven requirements. This article introduces these requirements and the state licensing agency that administers the life and health insurance agent licenses.
The Florida Department of Financial Services (My Florida CFO) has the authority to issue a license from the Bureau of Licensing.1
Complete a 60-hour approved insurance course for life and health insurance.
1. Requirements for a Florida Insurance Agent
Requirements must be met before advancing to the next steps. To become an insurance agent in the State of Florida, you must:
- Be a natural person at least 18 years of age
- Be a bona fide resident of the State of Florida
- Be a United States citizen or legal alien who possesses a work authorization from the United States Immigration and Naturalization Services
- Not be an employee of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or state service office
- Not hold a resident license in another state
Interested in being an agent in Florida?
Learn more about becoming a Globe Life agent today
2. Pre-Licensing course
In order to begin the steps toward becoming a licensed Florida insurance agent, you must complete a pre-licensing course approved by the State of Florida.
The approved insurance course for life and health insurance involves 60 hours of course work and must be completed within four years of the insurance exam application date.
There are other ways to complete the pre-licensing course. Refer online to the My Florida CFO website for more information.
3. Apply for the Florida Insurance License Exam
The Florida Department of Financial Services or My Florida CFO is the official site to apply online for your health and life insurance exam. You create an account on MyProfile to pay fees and complete the application.2
4. Proof of course completion
Send proof of your completion of the pre-requisite coursework to My Florida CFO.
If you have completed an approved pre-licensing course, your pre-licensing education provider should automatically send the Bureau of Licensing proof within 21 days of your passing date.
If you qualify with other license variations outlined online at My Florida CFO, email proof of your prerequisite qualification to: Agentlicensing@myfloridacfo.com.
5. Fingerprinting and background check
Fingerprinting is mandatory for holding an insurance license. Fingerprinting is used for a criminal background check using the provider IdentoGO. Florida residents register and go to the nearest IdentoGO location to have their fingerprints submitted electronically.3
6. Taking the State of Florida Life and Health Insurance License Exam
You are now ready to sit for the Sate of Florida’s insurance examination. Once you have completed the fingerprinting process and passed the background check, an email will be sent you. MyProfile is the online portal for the Florida Department of Financial Services’ Bureau of Licensing. Go to the MyProfile account you set up in step three above.2 The message in your profile account will give you instructions to schedule the examination.4 After completing the exam, the state licensing office will notify you if you have passed.
7. Apply for the life and health insurance license.
Once you have been informed you have passed the exam, you apply with the Florida Department of Financial Services. They will send you an approval by email. You are able to download and print your licenses.
Team up with the experts – Join a Life Insurance Agency
Once your application has been approved by the Florida Department of Financial Services, you will be ready to sell insurance in Florida. Congratulations!
Finding a home with a team of successful and motivated insurance agents is the next big step in achieving your potential. Look for a reputable insurance company and find a licensed agency where you will receive additional training and mentoring.
- MyFloridaCFO, https://www.myfloridacfo.com/division/agents/home Accessed September 2023.
- Profile Application, https://dice.fldfs.com/public/pb_index.aspx Accessed 2023.
- MyFloridaCFO, https://www.myfloridacfo.com/division/agents/licensing/agents-and-adjusters/fingerprinting-information Accessed September 2023.
- MyFloridaCFO, https://myfloridacfo.com/division/agents/licensing/agents-and-adjusters/exams Accessed September 2023.