November 15, 2022
To sell life insurance In Texas, you must be licensed by the Texas Department of Insurance. The process is not difficult, though you must be prepared to study and pass the test.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must submit a completed application with the required licensing fee, and fingerprint receipt within 12 months after you have passed the licensing fee.
- You must pass the proper licensing examination.
- You have met all applicable license requirements.
- You have not committed an act for which the license may be denied, as defined under Section 4005.101 of the Texas Insurance Code and Section 1.503 of Title 28 of the Administrative code.
It is required to attend, either online or in a physical classroom, life insurance instruction before sitting for the state life insurance examination.
Interested in being an agent in Texas?
Learn more about becoming a Globe Life agent today
The Texas Department of Insurance partners with a highly reputable testing center, Pearson VUE, which provides online course materials and handbooks, as well as online-proctored exams and several test center locations. Pearson Vue supplies a handbook you can download as a detailed document explaining all the steps to become a licensed insurance agent in Texas.1
The application process for life insurance agents in Texas is as follows:
- Pick the right test - Life insurance exams fall under the category of “General Lines” (this includes life, accident, health, and HMO).2
- Find out how and where to take the test – The Texas Department of Insurance website allows you to take the test at your convenience.3
- Make an examination reservation and pay the fee – You will set up an account online and reserve your exam date.
- Prepare for the examination – A candidate handbook3 and outlines are free and can be downloaded.
- Make a fingerprint reservation - Obtain a fingerprint background check through Identogo.4 It can be accessed through the Texas Department of Insurance.
- Take the exam – You can choose to take the test online or go to a designated test center.
- When you pass the test – You apply for an agent license and submit your fingerprints.
Ready for Your Next Step
Get started now on a new agent career with Globe Life.
There is a fee for application of a license. If you are a military veteran, you may have the fee reimbursed for exams taken on or after February 1, 2019. Veterans who have passed the Texas insurance exam can apply to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.4 Check the sources listed below for more information.
There are private companies that charge a fee to help you prepare for a test. Just be aware they will not set up your account or provide the exam. They help with the mechanics of taking a test or review the information that could be on the exam.
One of the easiest ways to begin the process of becoming a licensed life insurance agent is to seek out a successful life insurance company. A solid and reputable life insurance company will guide you through the process, help you prepare, and then continue to train you after you are licensed.
When you have passed your test, you will be part of a group of new agents and seasoned agents that create support and training, along with recognition and awards based on your achievements.